Did you know that May is National Barbecue Month? What better way to celebrate it than by cooking dinner out on the back patio or deck? Thanks to the generally pleasant weather experienced by much of the country in May, you can celebrate National Barbecue Month just about every night.
What type of Outdoor Grill do you prefer to use? Gas Grills and Charcoal Grills are perhaps the most popular grills found in backyards across the country, but Electric Grills, Brick Ovens, and even Portable Grills make cooking out with family and friends a delicious affair, too. If you don’t already own a grill, or if you’re in the market for a new one, make sure to consider the following questions when you go to buy:
- How much space do you have for storing and using a grill? Know where you want to put a grill and measure that space so you know what size limitations you’re working with.
- How do you want to power your grill? For example, some people prefer to use charcoal grills because of the flavor it adds to the food, while others like to have optimum control over the temperature of the flame and choose gas.
- How much cooking surface will you need? Larger families require a larger cooking surface so that everyone’s food can fit on the grill at the same time. Small families, on the other hand, may not require as much cooking surface.
- What kind of features are most important to you? A grill that is easy to clean? Easy to move around? One with a warming rack above the main grill surface? Or with additional work space and grilling tool hooks? Knowing what features you require will help you narrow the field of choices.
With a grill at the ready, you can celebrate National Barbecue Month this month as well as all summer long. While you’re at it, you can easily celebrate National Hamburger Month, too, which is also in May. Here’s a delicious hamburger recipe to get you motivated:
1-1/2 pounds of lean ground beef or ground turkey
2 slices of white bread, crumbled
1/4 cup of finely chopped onion
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1-1/2 Tablespoons of sugar
3 Tablespoons of soy sauce
1/4 cup of water
1 clove of garlic, minced
1/8 teaspoon of ground ginger
Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Blend well. Shape mixture into 6 patties. Grill for 10-15 minutes about 5 inches from the flame, turning once. Serves 6. Enjoy!
Do you have royal wedding fever? Unless you are living under a rock, you know that England’s Prince William married his long time girlfriend Catherine Middleton today. The world was mesmerized by the magical event, focusing on everything from the vows to bridal fashion to the guests’ hats, which were pretty impressive. If you had been able to score an exclusive invite to the prestigious and historic event, what could you possible get a royal couple that has everything? Royalty often receives priceless jewels, shares of stock worth millions, generous donations to their favorite charities, and even a race horse (from the Aga Khan to Elizabeth II on her wedding day in 1947). Choosing a gift for the couple that has everything can be tough, even if they aren’t royals! Below is a list of nontraditional wedding gift ideas any bride and groom on their big day.
- Charitable Donations: Follow Kate and Williams lead! Ask the couple which causes they support and make a donation in their honor. This gift will be sure to please the couple and help other people and organizations in need. Everyone wins!
- Museum or Local Attraction Memberships: Does the couple enjoy art and culture? Do they attend concert or plays often? Consider getting them a year long membership to an organization that they will love. Animal lovers might love a year round pass to the local zoo. Theater buffs will certainly enjoy a season of tickets at the local playhouse. Art lovers? The local museum. The options here are limitless. If you know the couple’s hobbies, you can certainly find a membership in their area to fit.
- Patio Furniture and other outdoor living items: Many guests will bring plates, silverware, and household items. Maybe you should shift gears and look for something for the outside of their home. Patio furniture is something that most couples will enjoy, but might not think about when registering. They will certainly be able to enjoy your gift for many years to come, when cash and gift cards have long been used. Outdoor fireplaces are both luxurious and practical. They are a great addition to any new home. Outdoor grills will give the couple a fun alternative to indoor cooking and will surely get you invited over for future cookouts! Fountains, statues, and water features might also be perfect for your friends or family getting married.
- Anything Personalized: Anything personalized, including a custom painting from portrait of the couple, monogrammed bath robes, and framed photo collages will show the couple that you avoided the traditional generic gifts. If you pick something especially for them, they will recognize the love and thought that went into choosing a gift for their special day.
Did you receive any unusual or unique wedding gifts on your big day? Have you given a wedding gift that was different, but wonderful?
Today is my husband’s birthday (happy birthday, Jeremy!), and I have been considering the ideal gifts for men. Options abound for choosing the perfect gift for the man in your life, young or old. Below are two great options that are sure to please every husband, boyfriend, brother, and dad around!
Grilling is a passion for most men. Give them a kitchen, and they might not produce, but give them a a grill and the great outdoors and you will have a delicious meal in no time! Even if your guy already has an outdoor grill, it might be time to upgrade! There are so many options in outdoor cooking available today. Electric, propane/gas, charcoal, and smokers ensure that there is something for everyone. You could even get him a portable grill that is perfect for family vacations, tailgating, and outdoor hobbies, like fishing or hunting.
Outdoor tvs are a dream for many men! They can only imagine being about to watch their favorite sporting events or movies live while cooking lunch on the new grill or lounging in the pool. Outdoor tvs make this luxury idea into a reality. Designed for permanent outdoor installation, you can safely watch tv in all kinds of weather. They are perfect for patios and decks, barbecues, pool side, and outdoor kitchens. Rain, dirt, insects, scratches, sun, and extreme temperatures are not an issue because of the water tight enclosure and rugged, but crystal clear, screen.
No matter which gift you choose for your favorite man, be sure to make it special and give them a gift that they will never forget!