The Advantages of Choosing Low Voltage
Landscape lighting comes in many forms, including path lights, deck lights, floodlights, and patio lanterns, and it is an essential feature of any home. Low voltage lighting, though, is often a more practical choice than high voltage lighting. Low voltage lights make use of a transformer which reduces the 120 volt house or business current to 12 volts. Some of the advantages of low voltage lights are as follows:
- Security and Better Visibility: Low voltage lights that are strategically placed provide even illumination rather than dark shadows that are created by high voltage lights. Although light does not prevent crime, it can improve nighttime security for your home or business.
- Safety: Residents and visitors can navigate around your property more safely when sidewalks and entrances are illuminated by landscape lights and drivers are not blinded by the glare of high voltage lighting.
- Recreational Usage: You can enjoy your deck or other recreational area at night when you illuminate these private areas.
- Property Value: Landscape lights help to improve the appearance of your property at night by accentuating shapes and textures of your landscape and structures. This serves to raise the property’s value and improve the community.
- Economy: Low voltage lighting uses about a third of the power required for high voltage lighting, and when your property is properly lit, you achieve an energy efficient design. This in turn reduces your long-term operating costs.
Low voltage lights are usually installed along walkways, pathways, driveways, entrances, and steps. Low voltage lights can also be placed inside wells and ponds, and pointed up at trees, fences, and walls. The typical low voltage lighting system is composed of three items: a transformer, a low voltage electrical cable, and lighting fixtures. Each transformer should be plugged into a GFCI-protected outdoor outlet with a “while-in-use” cover that closes over and around the power cord.
Installing low voltage landscape lighting is an easy do-it-yourself project, and many home owners find that they can exercise their creativity when planning where to install the light fixtures. No matter where the lights are placed, though, you can feel confident that the choice of low voltage lighting offers the most advantages in landscape lighting options.
Garden torches are a lovely way to add soft lighting to your backyard, garden, poolside, or other outdoor area. Traditional grass style tiki torches can seem “done” and do not stand up well to the elements of nature. Change it up! We offer a variety of tiki, pole, and fire pot style garden torches. All of our materials are designed to remain beautiful for years to come. They are inexpensive to buy and operate. Most operate off standard lamp oil and citronella oil can be substituted to give you the added bonus of insect control. We offer a variety of styles, colors, and designs so you will be able to match any outdoor décor.
Spring has sprung early in many parts of the country. Plants and flowers are blooming weeks earlier than expected and many have already started tending their gardens. Now is a great time to add some fun and decorative touches. Here are a few ideas for adding color, whimsy, and function to your garden or backyard area.
- Flutterby Solar Garden Accessories use solar power to give the impression of colorful insects in flight. Direct sunlight on the Flutterby solar panels make the colorful butterfly and dragonflies flit around your flowers and shrubs. Each insect measure 3.1 inches from wing to wing and they come in red, purple, yellow, blue, and green.
- Solar Chameleon Gazing Ball adds a touch of beauty and style to your garden. It has a solar panel hidden discreetly within that gives its dual light settings their bright light. The White Mode features 2 bright white LEDs, and the Chameleon Mode cycles through a spectrum of colors. It comes on automatically during dark periods of the day and offers up to 8 hours of light each night when fully charged. There is no wiring required – only the power of the sun!
Finding what you need in the storage shed, garden shed, garage, or other dark space can be a challenge when you don’t have the benefit of light by which to see clearly. Many homeowners simply live with the situation because the hassle and expense that comes with installing electrical wiring for outdoor light fixtures is not pretty.
Surprisingly, solar lighting can offer an easy and inexpensive solution to the problem of dark storage spaces. The Solar Multi Light is one example of a solar-powered light that can be used in indoor spaces. As long as the included solar panel is mounted in a sunny area outside, the actual light can be used in any indoor space where extra light is needed.
Solar lighting, in general, is attractive to many homeowners because no wiring needs to be installed, and electrical costs are zero. Solar lights have evolved over time, too, to provide more light for longer periods of time, making them ideal for any number of outdoor applications. Homeowners concerned with appearance can also appreciate the many attractive styles in which solar lighting is now available.
Chinese lanterns make a colorful and distinctive addition to creative backyard and patio decor. But, you don’t need to wait until Chinese New Year rolls around again to adorn your garden or patio with Chinese lanterns. Fun and funky, solar-powered Chinese lanterns bring colorful illumination to any backyard gathering no matter the time of year. Since they’re covered in a weather-resistant nylon fabric rather than fragile paper, they can stay in your outdoor areas indefinitely. And, because they are solar-powered, these energy-saving lights require no wires or cords, making them easy to hang anywhere.