While pool alarms may come with many more features than are presented here, the following is a list of recommended features to look for when deciding on a pool alarm for your own backyard swimming pool:
- Easy installation
- Tamper proof
- Includes a remote receiver with a range of up to 200 ft or more
- Low battery indicator on alarm and on receiver
- Recommended for the size and shape of your swimming pool
- Able to detect an object as small as a 1 year old child, approximately 18 pounds
- A loud and distinct alarm should sound within 20 seconds each time a child simulator is dropped into the pool.
Testing Your Pool Alarm
Once you decide which swimming pool alarm is best for your backyard swimming pool, performing regular tests of the alarm’s effectiveness will ensure that your alarm continues to function properly over time. The user’s manual for each type of pool alarm should provide instructions for conducting your own tests.