For more than a decade, arsenic- and chromium-free ACQ Preserve® pressure treated wood has been used in some of the world’s most environmentally sensitive locations. From the pristine environments of national parks in Australia, North America, Europe and Japan, to neighborhood playgrounds and backyards like yours, Preserve treated wood has been used around the globe to provide a durable building product for outdoor projects where environmental values and product safety are priorities.
Preserve® treated wood products are available in response to concerns raised by public and government sectors of the treated wood market regarding the use of arsenic and chromium in pressure-treated wood. Preserve is treated with ACQ®, an environmentally advanced formulation that is arsenic and chromium free. The ACQ preservative system provides long-term protection from rot, decay and termites without the use of any EPA listed hazardous chemicals.
ACQ Preservative Protection
The ACQ preservative in Preserve treated wood is a copper plus quat system that provides the same level of protection to wood as CCA preservatives against decay, rot and termite attack (without the use of arsenic and chromium).
The main active ingredient in ACQ is Copper, which has long been established as the most cost-effective preservative component used in timber preservation. Quat acts as the co-biocide in the ACQ preservative, providing additional protection from fungi and insect attack that copper alone would not control. Quats are commonly used in household and industrial disinfectants and cleaners and are biodegradable in soil. Copper and quat solutions similar to ACQ are used for the control of fungi and bacteria in swimming pools and spas.
ACQ Preserve Plus Offers Improved Weathering Performance
Wood which is exposed outside to the weather is subject to repeated wetting and drying cycles that cause wood to swell and shrink, resulting in splitting, cracking and warping. Preserve Plus is protected with the combination of ACQ preservative treatment and a built-in water repellent, to provide long-term protection against decay, rot, termite attack and the effects of weathering.
ACQ Preserve Plus should be specified for outdoor building projects where appearance is important and protection from the effects of weathering is a priority.
Painting and Staining or Natural Weathering
ACQ Preserve and Preserve Plus can be painted or stained to match any outdoor color scheme. High quality oil and latex based paints and stains are recommended. Water repellent coatings can be applied to enhance the long-term weathering performance. It is important that the wood is dry and free from surface deposits prior to applying any coating. Left uncoated ,or with clear water repellent coatings, Preserve and Preserve Plus will initially weather to a natural brown color, eventually turning gray following long-term exposure to the sun.
Nails, Fasteners and Fittings
For the best results, stainless steel or hot dipped galvanized fasteners and fittings are recommended. A list of acceptable fastener systems is available from your Preserve supplier. Anti-corrosion coatings applied to fasteners and fittings in contact with treated wood will enhance long- term performance. Direct contact of Preserve treated wood with aluminum fasteners and fittings is not recommended.
ACQ Preserve’s Performance Guaranteed
ACQ Preserve and Preserve Plus are the only arsenic and chromium-free pressure-treated wood products backed by a Lifetime Limited Warranty! Ask your retailer for details.
- Does not contain arsenic, chromium or other EPA classified hazardous chemicals.
- Provides long-term protection from rot, decay and termite attack.
- Can be used in environmentally sensitive settings.
- Enhances worker safety.
- Wood scraps can be disposed of by ordinary trash collection.
- Offers a wider selection of treatable timber species.
- Easily painted or stained.
- Quality control ensured by independent third party inspection.
- Features a Limited Lifetime Warranty.
- Preserve Plus is available with built-in water repellent.
Treated Lumber and Plywood Specifications, Approvals, Registrations, and Awards
- Approved by the ICBO Evaluation Services (ER#4981) (Uniform Building Code)
- Standardized by the American Wood Preservers’ Association (AWPA) C1, C2, C22, C4-95, C5, C9, C15, C17, P5
- Preservative components registered with the United States Environmental Protection Agency
- Australian Standard AS-1604 1997
- AQIS – Australian Quarantine Service
- JIS Japanese Standards
- CSA Canadian Standard Association
- NWPC – Nordic Wood Preservation Council
- Approved in Germany, Holland, Denmark, Sweden and Spain.
- Awarded Wisconsin Dept of Industry, Labor, and Human Relations Approval
- Awarded Wisconsin’s Governor’s Commendation
- Awarded Wisconsin’s Dept. of Natural Resources Commendation.
Preserve and Preserve Plus can be used for any building application where protection from decay and termite attack is required. Applications include: